Driver Drowsiness Detection in Python using OpenCV
By Srikalpa Sankeerth
We will create a system using Python and OpenCV to stop these incidents so that the driver will be alerted(both text and alarm) when he feels sleepy.
- To build a method for sensing driver drowsiness to deter collisions from occurring due to driver exhaustion and sleepiness. (drowsiness)
- On the highway, you can find people traveling day and night. The lack of sleep causes cab drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers, and long-distance travelers to suffer. Due to this, driving while feeling sleepy becomes very dangerous.
- We will be using OpenCV in this Python project to capture photos from the webcam that will classify whether the eyes of the individual are 'Open' or 'Closed'.
- We will use Haar Cascade Classifier because Positive images are the objects of interest that our classifier is trained to detect and negative images are images without the object of interest.
In the system, two features are extracted:
(1) The features related to Eye region
(2) The Feature Related to Face Region
The drowsy driving detection system is one of the most important methods to reduce traffic accidents.